04 December 2015

a tree burl . . . and a lovely quote


Walking the circle road we live on, we pass an oak tree with a large "nose" . . . at least that's what the burl looks like. Burls are common in this area --- there's a tree in one of the lake's camping grounds with five or ten of these growths, some on top of others.

I've been taking these photos with either an iPod or an iPad and the photos are good. But I've learned that when you click on the image to enlarge it, the photo does not enlarge. Meaning, anyone who might wish to read the text, can't. My Canon ELPH camera works better for this; unfortunately the battery needs replaced and it seems they are hard to find.

The text on the left is a quote from Tim Gagnon found on a newsletter from Rosemary & Co.:

"There is a beautiful Hebrew tradition called, "Hiddar Mitzvah". This ancient practice, dating back to the Babylonian captivity, interprets a passage from the book of Exodus to mean that believers should glorify God, "in a beautiful way". In other words, art can and should be, an intimate act of worship. This profound concept inspires me daily. My faith and my art intertwine for a single purpose, and an audience of One."

8 comments:

  1. Lovely sketch, Vicky... I like listening what you are saying in your sketches, there is your soul in them...
    BTW - your old sketches were able to be enlarged when clicking on them... Now I do it with button ctrl +

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a lovely thing to say -- thank you, Jana!
    My older photos were taken with my camera that now needs a new battery. Stores that sell the camera no longer stock batteries so I'm having to search for one. I didn't know about the "button ctrl +" trick; I usually visit other people's sites from my iPad -- I can just expand the image with my fingers to enlarge!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I entered my comment and clicked on publish and it disappeared. Hopefully my comment won't show up twice! : )
    This is a beautiful sketch. And I love the quote. I would like to write it to remember it in my own journal. Your faith and your art beautifully intertwine on the pages of your journal. That is what drew me to your blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope, no extra comments here! That's happened to me before. Haven't a clue why.

      Intertwining my relationship with the Lord with my sketching seems to be what I'm 'supposed' to be doing. However He chooses to use these to encourage and bless others, I am grateful.

      Delete
  4. I like your use of this gray toned paper, and I am always glad for reminders that art is important. I'm intrigued by this interpretation from Exodus. When I Googled "Hiddar Mitzvah" only your blog post came up. I'll have to sign up for Rosemary and Co.'s newsletter to see if I can find out more--I didn't even know they had one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wasn't aware that Rosemary & Co. had a newsletter either; when I ordered a travel brush recently on line, there was a place to check if I would like to receive it. I had not heard of the artist who said the quote before either -- he paints gorgeous iconic art with text on wooden boards.

      Delete
  5. This is beautiful-- the sketch, the quote, and your words, which are inspiring, as always.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...