19 January 2019

a new-to-me book


I thought I already owned a large number of books by favorite artist/author/naturalist (and one of my dearest friends, known affectionately as Kate) Cathy Johnson. But recently I found another one that I had missed: originally published in 1986 and long out of print, The Local Wilderness has recently been reprinted by a new publishing company along with several other of Kate’s most popular books.

Yesterday I began reading this new-to-me book, then decided to take a break and sketch it. It’s the green one under my next sketchbook; the book on the bottom of the stack is a copy of the first book I read of Kate’s. I first read The Sierra Club Guide to Sketching in Nature as a library book in 2007 and it inspired me to begin a regular sketching habit. I had loved to draw as a child but had stopped after high school. Reading this book encouraged me to draw again on a regular basis. Reading the library book led to me finding Kate online, which lead to signing up for her newsletter. Which told me she actually lived within driving distance (about a 3-hour drive from our then-home in Kansas) and she used to invite readers to meet together for informal sketch crawls. Which led to our friendship, for which I’m very grateful.


My next sketchbook is an accordion-fold book made from leftover scraps of watercolor paper, slipped into a leather cover found on Amazon. After filling both sides of the book, I will glue on protective front and back covers, then refill this leather cover with new paper. More about this cover can be found here. I still have 8 more pages in my current Stillman & Birn Zeta sketchbook but I’m usually planning ahead towards the next one when I get near the end of the one I’m working in. Keeping a sketchbook is truly a long-standing habit now, though I seldom develop larger works from the drawings. They are more like illustrated diaries to me.

8 comments:

  1. I love your work, Vicky! I am also a huge fan of Cathy Johnson's. Her book "Artist's Journal Workshop" is my very favorite art book. Thanks for sharing! Theresa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!
      Definitely one of my favorite books too! Even more so with sketches of two of my grandkids in it. 😊

      Delete
  2. It was The Sierra Club Guide to Sketching in Nature that also introduced me to Kate and got me sketching much more and eventually to finding her on facebook. You are so lucky to have lived close enough to get to spend time together in real life!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That book is truly encouraging, isn’t it?
      I feel very blessed to have had the opportunity to meet Kate and spend so many lovely times with her and Joseph. I miss them since we moved to Texas.

      Delete
  3. Love your sketch! I ordered Kate’s book, “ The Local Wilderness” from Amazon over two weeks ago. Unfortunately it won’t arrive for another week or two. How did you get yours so fast you lucky duck? 🤣

    ReplyDelete
  4. 😯 How curios! I ordered mine Jan. 7th and it arrived Friday. Pretty fast for not using “Prime”.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, and mine was “Prime!” Go figure!!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...