18 January 2019

more limited lunar palette


I wasn’t sure how the limited palette I recently put together with Daniel Smith lunar watercolors would work so I made a color chart. These pigments are muted earthy granulating colors, which I love, but seeing the mixes obtained with them makes me think that they will work better if allowed to mingle together on the paper, not pre-mixed. I think this set would work best when adding a touch of color to an ink sketch rather than a direct watercolor piece. Especially a sketch in brown or sepia ink!

(There’s also a lunar earth but I prefer transparent red oxide for an earth orange.)

At first I added buff titanium to the empty space left, but the mixes show that there isn’t a noticeable difference between mixing with buff titanium or just using a thinner wash of the single paint. So when I put together a smaller version in a pocket palette, I switched this space to raw umber. I could mix a similar color with the transparent red oxide but it’s convenient.



2 comments:

  1. I bet those colors do work well when sketching landscapes! Very pretty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are very subtle with lots of interesting granulation.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...