08 April 2015

pocket palette primaries

Before filling this repurposed palette shown in a previous post, I used a journal page to determine which red watercolor I wanted to include in the earthy, muted triad. Before now, I had been using quinacridone burnt scarlet but have always thought it a bit orangy. So I tested it with two other choices, Indian red and perylene maroon, to see what kind of oranges and purples eaxh one made.

Though I love Indian red's earthy quality, the mixed orange seems a bit dull --- more like a yellow ochre or raw sienna. So I chose the maroon.

On the opposite page, I made a color wheel for both the bright and the earthy primary sets, then tested a few of the colors with the two convenience colors.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...