06 June 2020

better late than never


Now that I am within two 2-page spreads of finishing my current “antique science book” journal, I thought maybe it’s time to actually finish binding my previous journal? Not the neatest job I’ve ever done but it’ll work.

This previous journal was an experiment: fold and sew up a book block but put it in a temporary cover while using. The leather cover (a Travelor’s Notebook with elastic bands to hold the paper refills) is extra thick and can handle a lot of abuse. I’ve worked in a smaller pocket-sized leather cover using an accordion fold insert (shown HERE and HERE). It worked great and was easy to glue on covers later. But I’ve found that I really don’t like doing the same process with a cased-in cover.

Anyway, because this previous journal covered the time period of selling our log cabin and moving to the farm, I covered it with a Texas map (and some leftover book cloth for the spine) — our new location is on the cover; after taking the above photo, I circled it in a reddish brown ink.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...