07 June 2020

yes, Bill, bumblebees sting!


Large bumblebees love hanging out in the chaste tree near the swimming pool. Bill keeps telling us not to worry, they won’t sting us.

After swimming on Thursday suits and towels were hung out on the clothesline. Friday morning I gathered them in my arms, bringing them inside to fold and put away. I folded my own suit, which has an attached skirt, loosely and just laid it on top of my dresser.

Friday afternoon, I pulled my swimsuit back on to go swimming again. Before I got to the front door, I heard a loud buzzing. Then screamed as I realized it was coming from my suit! Batting at it wildly, I found a bumblebee hiding between the body and skirt of the suit — and she did sting me, though through the fabric so it did not hurt much. She flew across the room as I called Bill in to “TAKE CARE OF THIS BEASTIE!” as the cats were now after her and I didn’t want them hurt.

And he did . . . He went after the angry bee with whatever he had in his hand. His pocketknife! And he dispatched the thing.

I have no doubt he would fight off dragons with the same weapon.

(Both queen and worker bumblebees can sting. Unlike honeybees, their stinger lacks barbs so it is not left in the wound and the bee is not injured; it can in fact sting repeatedly — until a dragon slayer comes after it.)

5 comments:

  1. I can visualize it in full HD mode.
    And the Medal of Honor for Bravery goes to ....rum roll..... Bill the Dragon (Bee) Slayer.

    Oh, and BTW, I'm glad you're okay.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 🤣🤣🤣 It was hilarious! I was on the phone with our youngest son when I found the bee under my skirt; unfortunately for him, he got the worst of my scream! And when I realized all Bill had in his hand was a pocketknife . . . I totally lost it!

      Delete
    2. Pocket knife? Surely it must have been a lightsaber like Darth Vader's.

      Delete
    3. There’s magic in that blade!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...