31 March 2012

back to my sketchbook

It seems like I've been away for a long time, working on things for both the Strathmore watercolor sketching class and the small watercolor class I've been attending on Thursday nights. My regular sketchbook has been neglected.

And of course, our tulip thieves are at it again with the blooming of our late tulips. This time they didn't even carry them to the next block (as was done with our early tulips) --- after picking them, they just threw them down in our yard.

I was so angry . . . . I came right in and sketched them before they wilted anymore, and in the process lost my anger. Sketching is a wonderful antidote!

7 comments:

  1. How sad. You need a camera out there to catch them at it. So sad that people can be so distructive. Great job of sketching them tho.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A camera is not feasible -- our corner is a very busy one with lots of foot traffic every day. So as long as we live in this place, I guess gardening won't be one of my activities. (I've had plants, pots, and hanging baskets & ornaments stolen, not just tulips)

    I miss gardening sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i love tulips. what wonderful colors in your drawing. sorry about your mischievous tulip thieves. :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is so sad. Destroying beauty is inexcusable. At least you preserved their beauty in your sketch book. Perhaps plant the bulbs in a planter and place it out of the way of passers by?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mischievous is right --- I'm sure it's just children being children, so I'm not really all that mad. Frustrated because they were meant to bless my husband, but I forgive them all the same.

    We moved the early tulips away from the sidewalk but had missed one. Not sure if I will move these later tulips or not. I may just start cutting them the moment they are about to open and bring them inside to enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A beautiful red you've used!!! It's a shame too with what you are dealing with.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just simple cadmium red and quinacridone red -- I was surprised at how they pop on this toned paper.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...