27 May 2024

playing with gouache

It has been years since I have played with the gouache paints in my stash. I love the look of vintage National Park posters, which look as though they may have been done in gouache. And some of my favorite paintings are the small gouache studies by Thomas Paquette

Recently reading that unused gouache can dry up in the tube, I decided to pull out the tubes in my stash and fill my oldest (original design, heavier metal) Pocket Palette. I stirred a tiny toothpick-tip amount of glycerin into each pan to minimize cracking and dried paint falling out of the pans. These paints are from M. Graham and Schminke, chosen for how easily they re-wet.

Then I tested this palette in my sketchbook, painting each color full-strength, watered down, and mixed with white. I can already see that these colors could be cut down to nine, allowing space for a mixing pan. Also, as lovely as the Helio Turquoise is, it’s a phthalo blue pigment and I just don’t care for phthalos. Yesterday I bought a tube of Winsor & Newton’s Cobalt Turquoise Light, one of my favorite colors in watercolor — I think that will replace the Helio Turquoise.

While I was playing, I also put together a Demi Palette to add to my small purse for away-from-home sketches in a tiny sketchbook. And made a color chart to test its colors out.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...