14 April 2020

our barn, then and now


This is how our barn looked the first time I saw it in November of 2018. We were looking at the property next door; this property was not yet on the market.


And this is my sketch from a few weeks ago, as the fog was slowly lifting. The previous owners replaced the siding (very cheaply!) and painted it before putting the property on the market.


Today our barn looks a bit naked with the cheap siding removed as we get it ready for the carpenter and his crew. In a few months this will be our new home plus a woodshop.

2 comments:

  1. I visited the US in 2000 and was SO excited to see a red barn. We don't have them in Australia and I have a memory of an American book from my childhood. Almost all of the books I read were English. BUT I am glad that you are getting what you want and look forward to future updates. Best wishes with everything

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Old barns are not seen much in this part of Texas — ranchers seem to lean more towards new metal structures. Probably because it is such a wet climate and wood rots.
      In Kansas we had some magnificent old barns that had stood since the 1800s and were still in use! I once worked for a local history museum that did a special exhibit of Kansas barns. My favorites were part stone, part wood and 3 stories high.
      Bill wants to replace the siding with metal due to the wood rotting issue but I’m hoping it retains a wood look.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...