23 April 2020

on the kitchen counter


When we renovated a 1920 apartment building in Kansas, the kitchen Bill designed for us was huge! Big enough for a work station in the center of the room. He took an old wooden table of mine that once held an antique cash register in my grandfather’s barber shop, and built a butcher block top that just slid into place on top of it. Two small drawers held knives and towels hung on the side.

Our kitchen in the log cabin was tiny so the work table was designated to the loft. Until it dawned on us that the butcher block could be slid off of the old table and cut down into a really nice cutting board! So that’s what Bill did and I love this big cutting board!

And Grandpa’s old table? Now it’s the table where I paint in Michael’s office. When we move over to the barndominium, I’ll have a small studio and the table will still be where I paint.

2 comments:

  1. What a treasure! I love that you are able to use your grandpa's table and actually getting twice the use from it now. Your sketch is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bill and I are those family members that latch on to what others think of as junk!

      When I got the old table, it had shiny red paint on it that we had stripped down to the wood below. There are two drawers and a low partition in the back that still has three holes drilled — that’s where Grandpa stuck his pencils! He was a farmer but cut hair as a sideline.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...