07 April 2020

a normal cup of tea


In these strange days of COVID-19, social distancing, and staying at home, it’s nice to have a very normal thing to do. Each morning either Bill or I brew him a pot of coffee and me a cup of tea.


This is my favorite mug and my favorite loose-leaf tea, Black Forest from the English Tea Store. Loose-leaf tea is extremely hard to find in this area unless I drive to the center of Houston — there’s a British import shop near Rice University. At least there used to be; we haven’t made the drive in years. Long before home deliveries became the norm, I have been buying my tea online.

I have sketched this particular mug many times over the years but never the back of the mug. There are abstract portraits around the sides, each depicting a mother and child. Bill’s coffee mug is more of a deep blue-green and his has portraits of a man and wife. They are hand-thrown pottery, purchased from The Spice Merchant in Wichita, Kansas.

That was one of my favorite shops when we lived in Kansas, an old historic building with the lovely aroma of whatever coffee they were roasting at the moment. I don’t like the taste of coffee but I love how it smells! Once the manufacturing plant for Mentholatum, the building was also where silent film actress Louise Brooks once tried to run a dance studio. It’s a very cool old structure!

 






No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...