27 October 2018

the pens I want to “rehome”


Yesterday I sketched the fountain pens I use the most and plan on keeping. Today, I drew the pens that I never use, for whatever reason. I would love to rehome these to someone who could get some use out of them!


This Noodler’s Ahab flex fountain pen is like brand new. I ordered it when it first came out but it is just too fat for my hand to use comfortably. For some reason, I also have an extra tube for the filling mechanism and extra o-rings. The pen comes with a built-in filling mechanism so it requires no cartridge or converter.

The pen on the left is a gorgeous hand-crafted one with a barrel made of cow horn. The other two are a Jet Pen Mini, no longer available in plastic, and a Pilot Petit 1 Mini. All three of these pens take standard small cartridges such as the brown ones shown on the right.

The cow horn pen cost $40 originally and is a beautiful piece of workmanship. But the nib has never really worked very well. I know someone who tinkers with fountain pens could easily fix it; I just don’t happen to be one of them, and I don’t know of any fountain pen stores in the area who could.


I tried this Fude de Mannen pen from Sailor and liked how lightweight it is in use. Easy to tip the nib for a variety of lines, though when making the broadest line possible there is sometimes a tiny line above the wide line. This is caused by the end of the feed being too close to the nib.

My favorite fude nibs are a Duke 209 and a converted Lamy Safari nib I did myself.


This Platinum Carbon Desk pen works great with a very fine line. But I can also get a very fine line with my other pens when the nib is turned upside down, so I rarely use it.


This Platinum Preppy pen came free with an order of Noodler’s fountain pen ink, and had been converted into an eye dropper pen. Meaning that instead of cartridges or converters, you just fill the barrel with ink. A massive supply of ink available between refills! There is an o-ring at the top of the barrel that provides a seal; to maintain its water tightness, you dab a very tiny amount of sealing wax around the o-ring. But I’ve never had to do this. I simply don’t need such a large supply of ink in one single pen!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...