13 October 2018

new (temporary) journals


Even though I’m not quite halfway through the two Stillman & Birn sketchbooks I’m currently using (an 8 1/2 x 5 1/2” Zeta and a 3 1/2” x 5 1/2” tan toned Nova), I spent today putting together two new sketchbook journals using papers I had stashed away. Cathy Johnson has started a new “Sketch With Me! group on Facebook, and recently challenged members to put together some simple sketchbooks. She included video instructions for a simple no-sew folding journal.

I went a different route: recently I purchased a cool leather binder that held removable folios by using elastic bands. Each page equals 4 1/4 x 8 1/4” — a rather odd format on its own but working across a two-page spread makes the working surface roughly a square. I removed the lightweight writing papers it came with and cut Fabriano Artistico and Stonehenge watercolor papers to fit. For now, these folios will be held in place with the elastic bands (no sewing!), but after they are done, I can sew the folios together and make a new permanent cover for this new journal. And then I can fill the leather cover with new papers.


I had an unused package of a lovely textured Khadi paper that I didn’t want to cut down smaller. But when each paper is folded in half, the resulting folios fit this old leather cover to the planner I used years ago. Extra elastic bands can be found on Amazon so I just need to buy four of them to hold the folios in this binder, whose pages measure 6 x 8 1/2”.



2 comments:

  1. Oooo. I *love* this. I have a decent size remnant of the loveliest worn, warm brown leather I've ever seen (used part of it for the bottom of my art bag). I think I shall attempt to construct a knock-off (for my own personal use, mind you). Thanks for sharing, Vicky!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Real leather seems to get better with use, developing a rich patina! When I was in high school, I loved Tandy stores — you could always find leather remnants at a good price and the place smelled so good!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...