29 May 2023

hot water buddy


This year, on our 51st anniversary, Bill ended up taking me to a most expensive venue: Baylor, Scott, and White emergency room. Chemo, etc. has lead to severe dehydration and a serious drop in blood pressure. I was eventually moved to ICU for several days to receive an IV drug that has to be very closely monitored.

I have very difficult veins — as of today, I have blown 5 of them. When the lady came by for a daily blood test, she had lots of trouble finding a usable vein. She came up with this ingenious method of a hot water filled glove placed over my hand to help raise the vein she was after. Then I kept it to sketch — and then put on a sore tummy!


Blood pressure is good now; I am now in a regular room as they continue to fight the loss of liquids. I will probably go home in a day or two but this postponed Wednesday’s chemo infusion.



6 comments:

  1. I pray that you continue to improve so you can go home and try to relax! I'm also a member of Line and Wash in Watercolor. I'm so glad you are able to paint while confined to the hospital.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’m still in hospital after 17 days but finally improving. I haven’t done any sketching since drawing my little hot water buddy (I quite like him!) but plan to do so tomorrow. I’ve been in a sort of “brain fog”!

      Delete
  2. thinking of you and sending strong thoughts your way. You have solved a mystery! I have also drawn one of these. It was in my Mum's hospital room one day. She did not know why they had used it and noone could suggest anything. I will have to let my brother know.
    I hope the days since you wrote this have improved

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’ve been in hospital since 26 May which seems totally bonky to me! Before I got here, I could get in and out of a wheelchair by myself; now I can’t hardly lint an ankle! That’s what not eating a couple of weeks after chemo can do, I guess.
      I’m beginning to eat again and they are making plans for some kind of care-home with therapy. Chemo is off for now.

      Delete
  3. Dear Vicky,
    I’m so sorry to hear about your recent difficult health issues. I have followed your blog for a long time and have always admired your beautiful posts. I hope you will be feeling better soon and want to send you my best wishes and prayers for your recovery.
    Sincerely,
    Jan B. from Idaho

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Jan! My online friends’ prayers are an unexpected and totally cherished part of this journey. I am so grateful for you!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...