30 April 2021

mixing triads demo

 

Yesterday I joined Lisa Spangler and Maria Cornell-Martin on their YouTube demo (HERE) on mixing triads. Mostly on using a CMYK palette (cyan, magenta, yellow, and black). At first, I was using phthalo blue GS, quinacridone magenta (Winsor & Newton’s PR122), Hansa yellow light, and Jane’s grey. But then I switched the phthalo blue to phthalo turquoise — a much nicer “cyan” and a great mixer! 

Lisa supplied a gorgeous photo on Instagram of a purple prickly pear cactus from Big Bend National Park. I did a quick ink sketch while she demonstrated how to make a simple folded sketchbook. I love the “desert green” she achieved by mixing the blue and yellow plus a bit of black. And dropping a purple mix into the wet green is brilliant!

For the final demo, I used a different triad: ultramarine, quinacridone red, and Hansa yellow medium. It was a bit of a disaster, with unwanted greens in the sky wash and my not allowing that wash to dry before adding the distant rock formations. Still, it was fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...