30 November 2020

comparing 2 earth reds


 With only one page left in this Hahnemuhle watercolor book, I decided to use it to compare 2 very similar earth reds, both from Daniel Smith. I’ve been using Lunar Red Rock for a while now — it’s the same PR101 pigment as Jane Blundell’s favored Indian Red but this one is a bit more transparent than the very opaque Indian Red.

On one of Maria Coryell-Martin’s recent Live Demos, Piemontite genuine was mentioned and I finally got a sample to play with. It’s one of the Primatek watercolors made from natural minerals but looks very similar to Lunar Red Rock. I painted blends of each of them with 2 earth yellows, 2 blues I use most often, Buff Titanium, and Green Apatite, another Primatek that I prefer over Sap Green.

I really can’t see much difference. Though I love working with natural minerals, the Lunar pigments cost much less so I think I’ll stick with Lunar Red Rock.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...