02 December 2020

new journal beginning

 


I just began a new journal, a much larger one (8.75 x 11.25’) than I have previously worked in. I don’t know what brand it is; the paper seems to be 140 lb. hot-press and the cover is plain black. It was given to me by a friend who had had it in her stash a long time and she couldn’t remember where it came from. All I know is that this paper is really good!

I’ve switched out my pocket palette to a simple triad plus neutrals. At first I only had one triad (quin. red, quin. gold, ultramarine). The color chart on the card showed me what basic mixes I could get from these plus burnt umber. I thought I would try using mostly grays mixed from the blue and brown, then add a bit of color for accent.

Then I went ahead and added an earthier triad (piemontite, monte amiata natural sienna, and cerulean blue chromium) plus perylene green because the pocket palette looked a bit empty. The demi palette I keep in my purse has just the first four colors in it.

Bill brought me the unknown plant clipping yesterday morning with frost all over it. I tried to capture the frostiness using a white grease pencil before painting. The plant is growing wild in one of our planting beds that have not been cleaned out yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...