08 November 2020

an old silk rose

 


This old silk boutonniere is another saved treasure that was rediscovered as I was clearing out old boxes. Bill wore it at our daughter’s wedding over 22 years ago. When I came across it, I laid it on my dresser next to an antique picture frame and oil lamp . . . . Our black cat, Scotty Dubh, promptly stole it, claiming it as his new toy. I rescued it and now he leaves it alone.

I drew this directly in ink with a fude nib pen, thinking I would keep it loose. But my normal tighter detail style still broke through — perhaps I should just accept that this is “me”. I added a bit of shading with a grey-blue watercolor pencil, kept dry in places and watercolor added over it in others. At least that was simplified . . .

Early this morning I couldn’t sleep. The farm was thickly covered with a blanket of fog, though that didn’t stop the donkeys from calling out their good mornings. I fixed a mug of Earl Grey tea and went out to drink it with them in the north pasture. Very peaceful morning.

2 comments:

  1. So beautifully rendered. I have my husband's boutonniere from our wedding too. So fun to document the treasures with love.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These simple treasures are beyond monetary worth for the memories they hold!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...