30 October 2020

seasonal palettes?

After putting together a couple of versions of my favorite granulating pigments into an “autumn palette”, I’ve been thinking about color combinations for the other seasons. This is just a worksheet of sorts; I have not settled on any of the combinations yet.

Spring seems a good time for a basic CYM palette (cyan, yellow, magenta) plus a few convenience colors — I chose quinacridone magenta, hansa yellow light, and phthalo blue. Not sure about the other colors.

For summer, I put together a basic “warm and cool” primaries, greens, plus neutrals. I could eliminate one green and the sienna from this set, doubling the mixing pan size.

As mentioned, autumn is my favorite time for lots of earthy granulating color.

And winter? I was thinking of starting it with ultramarine blue and burnt sienna for lots of warm and cool grays, then add just a few colors for accents. Of those shown, I think I might ditch the indigo and sienna. Not sure.

Would I actually stick to a designated palette for each season? Definitely not; I love mixing it up too much! But it’s interesting to think about. What colors do you think of for each season?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...