04 December 2018

studio palette clean-up


Sinus headaches have kept me from wanting to sketch much, but cleaning up my art space and palettes seems to relax me. Maybe because it doesn’t require much thought? I keep a larger Schmincke metal palette in my studio space, with a lot more paints than I normally use for quick sketching. There were several colors that I no longer used . . . or tried and never really liked. So I cleared them out and made this color chart of the watercolor paints I kept, along with pigment information. These are the colors I most love to use. Many are convenience blends, easy to get to if I don’t want to take time to mix. One “staple color” no longer in this palette is quinacridone gold. I loved the original from Daniel Smith but just don’t like its new substitute blend.

(Unless otherwise noted, I use Daniel Smith watercolors. A.J. = American Journey, Holb. = Holbein, and W + N = Winsor & Newton)


While I was at it, I did this smaller color chart just for fun. Basically it’s a “warm” and “cool” of the primaries plus a selection of greens and neutrals. Plus extra blues because there is such a broad range of blues to choose from!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...