16 November 2018

a bit of ice from Cincinnati


Our youngest son, Jeff, now lives in Cincinnati and he often sends me photos he takes around the area. This week, he sent multiple shots showing the ice he woke up to and challenged me to sketch them. An entire tree and a very full shrub looked a bit too challenging to me but these branches seemed fun to try. I greatly simplified the sketch on toned paper (Stillman & Birn Nova sketchbook in beige toned paper) and then added a bit of gouache.

Jeff also sent a video of snow flurries, excited to now be living where it snows on a regular basis. I sort of burst his bubble by telling him that we had snow flurries just 20 miles north of our home here in the center of Texas on Tuesday. At least we didn’t have ice and the flurries did not last, but we had a wickedly cold wind earlier in the week. Today, back to the 70s!


Here, my iPad Mini can be seen with the original photo open on it. The purse-sized gouache palette is a Pocket Painter Palette that I bought years ago from Wet Paint. I don’t think it is offered anymore. I added a thin magnetic strip down the center to hold 4 additional metal pans from ExpeditionaryArt and a half-pan of titanium white.

2 comments:

  1. In your sketchbook even more beautiful! Love your sketches, Vicky!
    Here it has cooled down, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!
      Here in the heart of Texas, it’s a sunny 75° Fahrenheit, but we had a much cooler week before today with lots of blustery cold wind.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...