15 August 2024

my current fountain pens

Like nearly all of my sketch journals, the first page showed my current watercolor choices. On this, the final page of this Tumuarta sketchbook, I drew the fountain pens I’m currently using. (I almost forgot to include the Pilot Parallel pen, squeezing it in at the end — and misspelling Parallel while I was at it!)

This sketchbook’s cover seemed rather poorly made, with cardboard covers and the spine left looking undone with only some canvas glued to the book block. But it held up very well. The 140# cold press paper was great to work on, as long as I wasn’t working wet-in-wet — it didn’t seem to like that technique.

3 comments:

  1. I would love it if you could print out a list of your fountain pens, including the parallel pen, and why you like each of them. It’s difficult to read the list on the sketchbook page. I love info like this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. From left to right:
      Kaweco Supra, size M nib, with De Atramentis Document black ink
      Duke 209, a bent fude nib, with Noodler’s Lexington Gray ink
      Meister by Point slim liner, size M nib, Rohrer & Klingner “Jule” ink
      Kaweco Liliput, F nib, with Noodler’s El Lawrence (green) ink
      Kaweco Liliput, F nib, Noodler’s Lexington Gray ink
      Majohn Q1, bent fude nib, De Atramentis Document ink (I mixed this “burnt sienna” colored ink myself by adding a bit of black to red.)
      Wancher PuChiCo Mini, F nib, De Atramentis Document ink (a turquoise color I mixed myself)
      Pilot Parallel, size 1.5 mm, with Noodler’s Lexington Gray.

      Every pen here starts up easily even if not used for several days. Different size or shape nibs are chosen according to what I want to draw or how loosely I want to work. The brown Meister pen has an extremely narrow nib that works especially nicely in tiny sketchbooks. Other pens in my collection, mostly Lamy Safari’s, are chosen for the same reason: easy to start writing or drawing without a lot of fuss. They are also comfortable to hold in my hand. The MaJohn Q1fat fat, stubby pen is great for days when my hand shakes (essential tremor). The fude nibs are just so playful to draw with, having a variety of line width.

      Inks I choose are all waterproof when dry and made especially for fountain pens. I like matching the ink color to the pen’s barrel.

      Delete
    2. If you click on the photo itself, I think it enlarges to see details better, depending on your computer or device’s settings.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...