02 January 2024

letters, a thing of the past

With my father’s passing away last year, I no longer write real letters. I miss that somehow. When I was just a child my father’s aunt, my great-aunt Lucile, became my pen pal. How I loved getting letters from her! A teacher who began her career in a one-room schoolhouse, she always showed an interest in what I thought or felt. We shared many interests as well, and she made the best strawberry preserves!

Emails and texting is more immediate these days, and multiple-people texts can be fun conversations. But there was something special about real pen and paper.

4 comments:

  1. I miss getting letters as well. When I send one people are so happy and I get lovely feedback… via mail.
    I hope you are well, greeting from Germany, Frauke

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exchanging real letters is definitely something special!

      Delete
  2. I belong to Postcrossing and send and receive Postcards from around the world, but I also belong to Penpal groups on Facebook & Instagram: Month of Letters, Letter Writers Society, Arizona Correspondence Society and we have virtual and in-person meetups! Sometimes I include small illustrations within my writing. Yes, these days, fewer know the joys of postal correspondence.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your letters must be something special with those included illustrations!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...