05 August 2022

a little baseball


Our local rural electric coop publishes a monthly magazine full of coop news, recipes, and Texas history articles. The July issue included a story on the history of sandlot baseball, illustrated by a photo I used for this sketch.

Generally, I’m not a big fan of sports but baseball is special — as a young man, my grandfather played professionally in the minor leagues. I remember watching televised games with him, sharing a bowl of Spanish peanuts.

Years ago our son Jason took me to see the Astros play at Minute Maid Park. People sitting around us seemed to come just to socialize, but I actually watched the game and enjoyed it!

I drew this with a Kaweco Liliput fountain pen in J. Herbin Lie de The ink, touching it here and there with a waterbrush for the wash. The text was penned with a Lamy Safari pen filled with a sepia ink I mixed using De Atramentis document brown and black inks.

2 comments:

  1. I love all your sketches Vicky and this one is really exceptional. I'm a bit of a nerd for anything vintage and your subject and your use of that beautiful ink really hit the mark for me. Now I must go off to order some of that J. Herbin ink!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Like you, I love all things vintage! Sketches done in Lie de The ink still look antique after watercolor is applied, "melting" just enough to add the vintage look. This ink comes in short cartridges as well as bottles -- a plus for Liliput fountain pens as there is no reliable converter for these small pens. I know I could refill the cartridges with a syringe but sometimes I get lazy!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...