07 January 2022

scrapple . . . with an R

I drew this earlier this week -- then didn't get around to adding the watercolor until last night. Then thought I'd add as a header the word "scrapple" this morning.

Apparently it is too early in the day for spelling skills -- I forgot the R and had to squeeze it in.

After Bill and I got engaged, his family invited me for a visit to meet them (he was on his Navy ship in California; I was in Kansas). I stayed overnight with his father, step-mom, his three youngest siblings, and his grandparents.

That morning, his grandmother set this stuff on a plate before me and told me I'd need to learn to cook it because Billy loves it! I'd never heard of scrapple before. It's actually cornmeal mush with bits of ham in it, molded overnight then fried, and you eat it with butter and maple syrup. I wasn't so sure about it back then, but I love it now.

Our oldest son Jason asked me to make some for him and our granddaughter Jayna recently; it had been many years since we had made it! But his request made us want to make up some of our own. Yummy!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...