02 January 2022

a beginning


Yesterday’s journal entry wasn’t much, but it’s a beginning.

I simplified my favorite 21 pigments (those in my larger Folio Palette) to this set of 15. The other 6 colors can be mixed with these; I just keep the others in the larger palette for convenience.

For those interested, these colors are:

quinacridone red
quinacridone gold
Hansa yellow medium
apatite green genuine
cerulean blue chromium 
ultramarine blue
indanthrone blue
raw sienna 
transparent red oxide
piemontite genuine
raw umber
buff titanium
titanium gray
lunar black
Jane’s Grey

All from Daniel Smith, most very transparent. Some may wonder why 2 whites and 2 blacks — I’m a bit fascinated by having one cool and one warm of each (especially interesting to play with on statuary or rocks) plus they are good mixers.

The paper in this Seawhite Travel Journal is 200gsm (94 lb.) and curled a bit in the corner with the wet watercolor. But it dried flat so I don’t think it will be an issue.

UPDATE: I tweaked this set a bit further by removing the cool white (titanium gray) and warm black (lunar black), increasing the buff titanium to a regular-sized pan. This gave me space to add mini pans of Potter's Pink and Cobalt Turquoise -- just because I love these two!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...