18 February 2021

testing Derwent Graphitint paint pan set

I had some art supply funds left over from my last Etsy sale so I went “shopping” for fun. A few years ago I noticed the Graphitint colored pencils: pencil graphite combined with watercolor for muted colors with lots of granulation — both things that I love. But everyone posting reviews mentioned they are definitely NOT lightfast, some colors fading quickly even in a closed sketchbook. So I was a bit leery to spend money on these.

Reviews on this new paint pan version had better lightfast ratings so I got a set and made my own test. One swatch has been tucked in my sketchbook; the other has been taped for nearly 3 weeks in a south window in full sun. So far, no noticeable fading, but I’m leaving the window swatch in the sun another month or two to make sure. The colors are more pastel than my usual Daniel Smith watercolors.

Some colors lift better than others, using either an eraser or a damp stiff-bristled brush. The boldly circled numbers are the company’s lightfast ratings with 6 or higher considered lightfast. Lighter lower numbers are those listed for the Graphitint pencils with the same color name.

I also tested a page of using regular watercolors combined with water-soluble graphite pencils. Paint added to a graphite sketch was too muddy; this combination works best if a bit of graphite is lifted off the end of the pencil with a wet brush, then mixed with watercolor on a palette.

3 comments:

  1. Vampydelineations06 December, 2023 05:20

    Hello! Could you give us a feedback on what happened with the colours since then? I have the same palette, I think from the same year, and do not dare to use it... Which is sad. Any input? Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In the almost two years since I made this test, the color values have stayed the same. Unfortunately, I don’t use this palette much because I work in sketchbooks on both sides of the pages — Graphitint paints are still “pencil” and will rub off onto the opposite page unless sprayed with a fixative. Which I’m usually too lazy to go get! 😂

      Delete
    2. Vampydelineations12 December, 2023 11:07

      Thank you very much for your answer!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...