22 February 2021

beginning a new sketchbook

Hurray! I’m back to cold-press paper in a smaller sketchbook! I’ve decided that I really do NOT like working on hot-press paper, and working in a 8 3/4 x 11 1/4” sketchbook is just plain awkward! This Etchr Sketchbook (A6 or 5.9 x 3.9”) is smaller than my ideal choice of a more squared format around 6 - 8”, but it’s nice to have it fit so nicely in my hand. An added bonus: this is 100% cotton paper, which I have also decided I like best.


This smaller ArtTool Kit currently holds 2 small clips, a medium waterbrush, a tiny mechanical pencil, a Pilot Namiki Falcon fountain pen, a 6” ruler (helps me pencil text lines), a couple of paper towels, a bit of natural sponge, a kneaded eraser, a tiny spray bottle, 3 travel brushes, a flat brush, a tiny Texas template, several watercolor postcards, and my Pocket Palette.

7 comments:

  1. How cool! Always fun to see what you're up to Vicky!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Being a complete newbie to using watercolor, would you share with me why you prefer the cold press mostly cotton paper or 100% cotton paper over hot press? Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Choice of watercolor paper varies widely among sketchers and painters — several of my artist friends love hot press, which allows fountain pen strokes to glide easily and watercolor to sit on the surface of the paper, mingling in unexpected ways.

      But I love granulating paints with grainy particles that settle in the “valleys” of cold press or rough papers leaving texture in the wash. Ink lines are sometimes more uneven as the pen meets the uneven surface, making more unpredictable lines. Cotton content can hold up to transparent watercolor being lifted with a stiff damp brush for recovering highlights; paper fibers may shred a bit depending on the amount of sizing in the paper.

      The best solution is to try a sample pack of various surfaces for yourself — I know Cheap Joe’s sells a variety of them. Try them out for yourself before deciding what you like.

      Delete
    2. Thank you for explaining all that. It gives me plenty to think over. Thanks for the Cheap Joe's tip too. I'm going to look into that. I've got experimenting to do. I don't know if it's just me but your sketches seem to me like they have more depth on the cold press. Thank you again!

      Delete
    3. I think the colors look much richer on the cold press paper. Colors seemed dull on the smooth paper of my previous sketchbook; I don’t know if it was just that paper or any hot press paper.

      Delete
    4. I think they do too. Thank you!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...