14 September 2020

comparing brush pens


At the Bed & Breakfast, I was drawing with my Kuretake brush pen. Later, my order of an inexpensive Wing Sung 3009 brush pen arrived so I compared them on these two pages. There were lots of very old pecan trees on the property so I sketched a few.

Even though my Kuretake is the least expensive of the line (I think it’s a 13), it definitely performs with much more precision than the Wing Sung with a finer point and more expressive line. But the Wing Sung, loaded here with Noodler’s Lexington Gray ink, will be fun to use for shadows. I think I might refill it with watery watercolor mixes just for that purpose.

I drew Bill’s pair of binoculars after we had used them from our barn’s living room, watching a pilated woodpecker perched on a distant tree top. Too far to sketch, unfortunately — all we could see as his distinctive silhouette.

Just a bit of warning on the Wing Sung pen: don’t post the cap! I did so and it was a bit snug so I started to twist it . . . and got a hand-full of ink because it turned the ink filling mechanism at the same time!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...