06 September 2020

a bag with a brooch


I sketched my purse three days ago but with all the activity of moving from our daughter’s farmhouse into our new barndominium (an old pole barn turned into a house + woodshop), it didn’t get painted until today. There are things to still things to complete, like threshold strips between the wood floor and stone floors, a wall of shelves in the office / art room / library, lots of boxes to unpack . . .

I bought this bag a few years ago because it was plaid. Autumn just seems like the perfect season to bring it out once more. Since I very seldom where jewelry except for the occasional pair of earrings, I pinned my favorite brooch to the front side of this bag.

When our son Matt was attending Kansas State University, he worked part-time in a small art museum that sold a few gift shop items — among them, this brooch designed by my favorite Arts & Crafts era designer, Charles Rennie Mackintosh.

It just as well could be a mushroom but I’ve always thought of it as a tree. Either way, I love it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...