05 August 2020

evolution of a palette


This has been my current palette: neutrals + earthy triad + turquoise, and a white gouache thrown in “just in case”. I’ve been sticking to a “browns + turquoise” set for the journal I’m working in.


Then I went a bit crazy, adding another turquoise and a few more neutrals, eliminating the small mixing pan and adding a larger “mixing palette” (with a buff titanium + Jane’s grey thrown in). Both palettes fit easily in my large Art Toolkit.


Now I streamlined it back to one large pocket palette with 2 mixing pans. My 4 neutrals (monte amiata natural sienna, transparent red oxide, indigo, and a larger pan of the red oxide + indigo mixed) in larger pans on the bottom row, then my earth primary (quin. gold, lunar red rock, and cobalt turquoise) in the middle row, followed by white gouache and 2 more turquoise pigments in the top row (cobalt teal blue and phthalo turquoise). 

Such is the ongoing evolution of my working palette . . . eventually subject to change when the mood strikes. (BTW, this new and “improved” Blogger format is really a struggle to use on my iPad Mini. I’m thankful they give us the option of reverting to the old version!)




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...