08 July 2020

more testing on this grey paper


This grey toned Stillman & Birn Nova sketchbook continues to frustrate me. It’s not just the cool grey color that requires a different palette than my usual preference; the paper just isn’t the best choice for watercolor. It can take light, less juicy applications but I’ve been gravitating towards working with wetter washes than I have in the past.

I look at my art journals as a continuous record of my normal life, so completing each journal from beginning to end is important to me. I have considered leaving this one unfinished and moving on but that interrupts 13 years of continuous sketchbook habit.


For these pages I grabbed 2 brush pens, a white water-based Sharpie, and a water-soluble Elegant Writer. I’ve been reading Trevor Waugh’s ebook, “People in Watercolor” — so I copied several examples from the book on these pages. I’m not very comfortable drawing people (and staying at home with Bill working on kitchen cupboards in his shop means no models around); using these pages just for practice drawing people seems like a good idea. It is also a bit “freeing” to not expect to do a “good” sketch but just practice. Even if it’s from books and photos.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...