04 March 2020

copying great ideas, part 1


There are so many very talented artists and sketchers to be found online, each with their own style and their own unique way of using art supplies. I often borrow ideas from my favorites, adapting them to ways that work best for me. Over the next 3 days, I’ll share some of the ideas I’ve begun using.

Recently, Maria of Expeditionary Art introduced her “Palettes of Place” series, beginning with the colors of the Pacific Northwest selected by artist Molly Hashimoto. I was immediately drawn to the Demi Palette’s simple layout of 8 mini pans surrounding a larger double pan for added mixing space, so I duplicated it in my own wee palette. This palette lives in my purse with a fountain pen, a waterbrush and folded paper towel.

Since recently switching from a “rainbow + neutrals” ordering of my palette to a set 20 colors arranged in 4 “primaries + green + neutral” arrangement, I am trying to not buy any new colors. (I do have a handful of additional colors such as a favorite turquoise or granulating pigments but they are just for once in a while). So instead of trying Molly’s colors, I put together my own and tried them out with a color chart.

Having such even spacing between each color swatch was borrowed from another online artist, Susan Chiang. She uses a skinny masking tape to divide each space, shown in this YouTube video.

And that recent change in how I lay out my palette? I got that from an older post on Jane Blundell’s blog that I saw several years ago. The idea stuck with me, and I finally did it with my own favorite colors. Plus one favorite turquoise and a sponge for dabbing a brush on. With the addition of a travel brush from Rosemary and Co., this lightweight palette (a small Koi palette with the insert removed) and a small water container is easy to grab and take with me.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...