12 April 2019

Elegant Writer pen play


After seeing Ros Jenke’s Instagram post where she drew a bird using the Elegant Writer calligraphy pen, I went to Hobby Lobby to find one. This pen is also mentioned in Karlyn Holman’s book, “Watercolor Without Boundaries”. She also demonstrates the pen in her YouTube videos.

Most water-soluble inks bleed in a faded version of the same ink color; this one bleeds in unexpected bits of gray, turquoise, and even pink at times. And unlike others that continue to bleed if watercolor is added later, this pen’s lines can be permanently “set” if a very fine mist of water is applied and allowed to dry first.

At least that’s what Karlyn says in her video. Maybe my spray mister isn’t quite as fine as hers? My lines still bled when I added watercolor. This overworked sketch was just a test page to try various lines and shading — I think the beauty of sketching with this pen would show better with limited splashes of color, allowing much of the sketch to remain in ink.

I need to play some more . . .



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...