08 April 2019

a new wildflower


. . . At least, it’s new to us. As I was taking photos of bluebonnets and Indian paintbrush, Bill wondered behind the old building facade at Old Baylor Women’s College in Independence, TX. He came upon a large patch of this strange looking wildflower, which he immediately picked and brought to show me.

It promptly wilted, as most wildflowers tend to do, but I took several photos. Then searched my field guides later at home, trying to identify it without success. Finally I found this website that says it is a Limestone Gaura (Gaura calcicola).

Of course, the Lady Bird Johnson wildflower website disagrees, calling it an Oenothera Calcicola, with the common name of “Texas Beeblossom”. I like that name best.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...