12 March 2014

tweaking my pocket-sized palette


The palette shown in my previous post is an Expeditionary Palette, sold by artist Maria Coryell-Martin. The tiny metal pans are held in place by a magnetic liner -- easy to pop out and switch around.

But the flat mixing area means no juicy washes. So I removed 4 of the pans and replaced them with 2 larger empty pans for wet mixes. I tried out a few mixes in my sketchbook to decide which pigments I could do without.

For adding a bit of color to on-the-go sketches, this wee palette works very well, and fits in any pocket. Just add a waterbrush and paper towel . . . or the set reusable towel that came with it.

I am still having major internet problems since moving to the country. Not many options available; the AT&T "Hotspot" has proved to be terrible at picking up a signal. We were supposed to have Hughes Net installed at our cabin; still waiting on the guy to show up . . . . I'm currently sitting in a very strong, cold wind outside to post this. Only way to get a connection of any kind.

6 comments:

  1. Vicki, is this one of your handmade journals? The paper seems really smooth and I was curious what kind it was. Thanks! I love looking at your sketchbook images.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Geno, this is a Stillman & Bern Beta hardbound sketchbook which a dear friend gave me. Excellent paper! I haven't had time to sew any new journals lately, having just moved to a new state --- we are still fixing the new house up.

      Delete
  2. I love your little palette. I have a regular size palette and I need to practice carrying around less colors. I am a novice at sketching...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Though it does not hold much paint, this palette is very handy to fit in a pocket or small purse. I miss having more colors, but using fewer is good discipline, right? :^)

      I was a novice sketcher just a few years ago (I started in 2007) --- try to draw something at least 5 days a week and you will constantly improve! I first began by doing the Everyday Matters drawing challenge list: http://karenwinters.com/kblog/edm-challenge-list/

      Delete
  3. Cool sketchbook. I can't believe you've only been sketching such a short time. Your work is we onderful. Bummer about your lack of good reception. Hope the other guy gets there soon to hook you up to better Internet. We don't want to miss out on the new discoveries. :))

    ReplyDelete
  4. The guy did show up yesterday and I now have a more dependable internet, though metered so I have to watch how much I use.

    I drew a lot as a child but quit when I got married (just before turning 18) because of a passing comment from a much-loved art teacher that I took wrong. Took me over 30 years to rediscover my love of drawing.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...