Earlier this week, I painted all the small mushrooms I could see in our yard, directly in gouache. Then got lazy and didn’t even add the grass around them. Yesterday, I added someone I saw while waiting at the eye doctor’s for a routine exam. She was very intent on her book, pausing now and then to jot down notes.

Cute and skilled sketches! About gouache, I have decided it won't be as much fun to use as watercolor and that I won't like the results if I try using them. But I really like your mushrooms. The result looks like watercolor.
ReplyDeleteHere I was using the gouache watered down so it behaved more like watercolor, though still opaque looking. Definitely not the same as watercolor’s transparency! But fun to play with.
DeleteI’d really like to find a way to paint like Natasha Newton but in my own style. She paints gorgeous granulating watercolors, then adds small details in gouache after the watercolor is dry. My hand tremor prevents me from such steady line work but I still want to find my own style using WC and G together.