03 February 2024

packing essentials

Monday I head back to the hospital, this time for a surgical reversal of the colostomy that’s gotten me through cancer treatment. Drawing things in my journal helps me decide what to take for the expected 3 or 4 day stay. 

Preferring to pack light, I’ll throw a robe and the above things in a backpack and call it done. The zip bag holds a few personal items and my sketchbook fits inside the large art toolkit. Plus a pencil, two Pigma Micron pens, and a waterbrush. After choosing some random watercolors, I decided that nickel azo yellow and quin. gold are too similar — one was switched to potters pink.

Facing major surgery and this is where my mind goes? Sure, why not? Sketching is a great way of coping. Now we’ll see how much I actually feel up to sketching!

3 comments:

  1. best wishes for a successful surgery and a swift recovery - and more sketching! I am enjoying your choices of tools and colors very much! (off to look at that art toolkit again - I've been thinking about it for some time now :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the drawing of your sketch pack. It's adorable. I'm glad to hear that drawing /painting helps you with your recovery. I have also used art for that little moment it brings of being out of discomfort. Best wishes and I hope you'll show what you create.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you! Art is definitely a help in dealing with frustration or worry. I’m so grateful to my friends John Lokke and Cathy Johnson for bringing it back into my life.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...