19 December 2022

a parallel fountain pen


I recently bought a Pilot Parallel fountain pen along to play with. I knew the ink would not be waterproof, but I thought it might give a subtle gray wash when touched with a waterbrush. Wrong!! The ink in this pen is very wet and very intensely black! Just a light touch of a wet brush tip releases a strong black wash. Still, I was determined to see it in action with a quick sketch — I had to really work to keep areas of this Flint Hills farm scene in lighter washes.

The nib shape is similar to my Lamy Joy pen’s calligraphy nib, but the Lamy nib seems to dry and clog if not used daily. The flattened nib makes for interesting sketching lines. Packaging that this pen came in warns to not refill the empty ink cartridge with other inks — which was exactly what I had planned to do using my waterproof fountain pen inks. There is a converter sold that fits the pen but I’m curious as to why I couldn’t simply refill the cartridge with a syringe?

7 comments:

  1. Vicki - this is certainly a great sketch. I love different pens to play around when sketching. Not sure why you couldn't use a syringe to refill either?? Hope you and your family have a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder if the warning is against using inks that are not meant for use in fountain pens? Or is the cartridge design one that, once used, can no longer form a tight seal and may leak?
      I guess I’ll find out once this cartridge is used up! Have a wonderful Christmas and a very blessed new year, Debbie!

      Delete
  2. I have refilled using a syringe Lots of times in the past. The issue is with the type of ink. No acrylic inks and no inks containing shellac. Pigments are dodgy too. Fountain pen ink is fine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great! Thank you, Susan! I'll refill with my Noodler''s or DeAtramentis Document inks then.

      Delete
    2. I've not used Noodler's or DeAtramentis in mine. A quick internet search led me to someone who has used Platinum Carbon. You do have to be careful with any waterproof ink and use or clean the pen regularly. I would spend a little more time on the internet before I tried unknown inks.

      Delete
    3. I have used Platinum Carbon ink in the past. I have also used both Noodler's and De Atramentis Document inks in all my fountain pens for years -- all perform excellently!

      Delete
    4. Yes, I have used Noodler's in a fountain pen. The Pilot Parallel are extra fussy. I can't wait to hear what you try!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...