15 October 2022

granulating palette, tweaked

In my previous sketch, I had trouble painting the plastic scrubber and red rock using my current palette made up of earthy, granulating watercolors. There are not many red pigments with granulating properties to choose from.

I had seen reviews in the past year of Schmincke “super granulating” watercolors. Most reviewers were not that impressed since most of these are convenience colors easily mixed from more common pigments. But when I saw Volcano Red, I definitely wanted to try it. It’s made from a single pigment (PR108) but it’s the prettiest cadmium red I’ve seen — more subtle than I remember from years ago.

I bought it in a set of three small tubes; the other two are Volcano Violet and Volcano Brown, both mixtures containing Volcano Red. Not sure either of them are worth buying again, but I think the red be will remaining in this and my regular palettes from now on.

I also wasn’t happy with Lunar Blue in this palette. Though lovely, it is a weaker paint that takes a lot of work to get much color. In the super granulating line, Schmincke has a Tundra Blue made from ultramarine blue (PB29) and a brown (PBr7). Instead of buying it, I mixed some ultramarine blue and raw umber in one of my pans, stirring well with a toothpick. A great, versatile blue that is still a bit earthy and more granulating than ultramarine blue by itself.

I also switched the burnt sienna out for the more vibrant transparent red oxide. The color swatch card in the upper left shows the previous colors.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...