28 December 2021

earthy granulating pocket palette


Just in case anyone was curious as to what colors of watercolor I placed inside my latest Pocket Palette . . .

I left one of the large mixing pans in the palette (it came with 2 of these large mixing pans and 12 tiny mini-pans) and added 10 standard pans filled with my favorite granulating paints (filled from tubes). I bought this coppery gold palette because it was not silver or black like my others from Art Toolkit; I can easily tell at a glance which of my palettes is the granulating one.

Before posting this, I wanted to paint a simple landscape on the opposite page using this set of colors -- but I am so fed up with the paper in Stillman & Birn sketchbooks that I changed my mind. Not that the paper is bad -- it is wonderful paper for sketching in pencil and ink and a bit of watercolor for color. This is one of their Beta books which is heavier paper better suited for paint.

But I want to apply wet washes of watercolor and allow them to mingle on the page together -- paint just dries too quickly on this paper to do that. Also, the smooth finish does not show granulating pigments off to their best affect; for that, I need cold press or even rough watercolor paper.

Only a few pages left in this journal anyway; hopefully I will finish it by the end of the week, then start off the new year with a new sketchbook journal.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...