24 June 2021

one final sketch from Kansas

 

We spent our Saturday in Kansas visiting friends and family in El Dorado, starting with Ron and Sharon who live in a log cabin near the lake. Sound a bit like us when we lived in our own log cabin here in Texas? Ron is also a very talented cabinet maker; his woodshop makes Bill’s look like child’s play!

I was very surprised to see this tin-man! Standing between 9 and 10 feet tall, it had been at the city library (one of my favorite places — I have not found another library quite like it) as long as we had lived in El Dorado. What I did not know was that Ron had built it as a senior in high school, some 49 years ago. When the library was going to get rid of it, Ron was able to save it.

2 comments:

  1. What a great tin man! I’m glad your friend was able to save it. The library of my youth, like you was one of my favorite places. It no longer exists. It was torn down to “modernize” the downtown area. I went there to read and dream that someday I would be able to draw and paint like the artists in the books that I admired.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How sad that the library was torn down!
    In 2007 I started to draw again (after 30+ years) when I read one of Cathy Johnson’s Sierra books in this library. It opened up many doors and Cathy became a treasured personal friend.
    Since moving to Texas, I realize what a gift this El Dorado library truly was. None of those I’ve found here can compare to its sheer volume of selections and services like InterLibrary Loan.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...