25 May 2020

contents of small sketch kit


Following yesterday's post, I was asked what I currently carry in my small sketch kit. This, of course, is subject to change on a whim just as my selection of paints. 😆

From left to right, there's a wee mechanical pencil, a Mark's Inc. Tous Les Jours ballpoint pen, a Pentel mini waterbrush, a small bit of a white eraser, two Liliput fountain pens (one with brown ink, one with a turquoise-like ink) and an extra refill, a mini spritzer, a contact case holding water, a plastic ruler, a mini sketchbook (this one, Hahnemuhle's ZigZag) , a Demi paint palette, a clip, and two Rosemary travel brushes (a squirrel mop and dagger).

The turquoise ink is not waterproof, as shown by the smear in the upper right. I use cartridges in these pens, as I've never found a converter that worked well.  My turquoise choices are Kaweco Paradise blue (a very light turquoise) and Graf Von Faber-Castell Deep Sea Green (a deep teal). The brown is waterproof, DeAtramentis Document Brown.

During the COVID-19 shutdown, I have watched several art demos online, including Maria Coryell-Martin's weekly demos and Barbara Luel's daily confinement journal sketches (both can be found on YouTube). From Maria's chat with Katharina Stoll, I learned about carrying water in a contact case. From Barbara, I heard about the Tous Les Jours pens, which are waterproof.


My small case came from JetPens.com -- It's called a Lihit Lab Smart Fit Compact Pen Case. I've tried several small kit cases; this one seems to fit in most bags and easily holds just the essential tools.


This card is tucked in as well, showing my current limited palette.


And for a serious sketch time away from home, I carry lots more in my Art Toolkit from art-toolkit.com -- I bought this case as a "factory second" at a reduced price during the company’s moving sale because the lower right pocket stitching was too tight to fit a regular Pocket Pallet. So I removed the stitching and added a temporary safety pin to make the two pockets holding two Pocket Pallets. I plan on stitching it at some point; I'd just rather get out and sketch rather than sew!

6 comments:

  1. What sketchbooks are you currently using? I see you have the Hahnemüehle ZigZag Book tucked into your Lihit Lab Smart Fitcase, because I also shop at Art Toolkit. ;-) But what sketchbook did you sketch your kit picture in?

    Thanks, KerowynA

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This current journal I made myself — Fabriano Artistico 140 lb. soft press paper inserted into a gutted antique hardcover science book. You can see a post about it on my March 21st blog entry.
      I switch back and forth between binding my own books and using purchased ones. I love the Stillman & Birn softcover books and just bought a regular Hahnemuhle sketchbook to try out someday.

      Delete
  2. Where did you find the Mark's Tous Les Jours ballpoint pen?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did a search on Google — most places (like Etsy) had limited color selection; I bought mine plus some refills from Tokyo Pen Shop.

      Delete
    2. Thanks, I'll check them out.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...