31 August 2019

my current copy-palette


Currently my Demi Palette is holding a knock-off copy of Jose Naranja’s limited palette, which has held my fascination for quite some time. I wasn’t entirely sure what colors he actually uses in his amazing detail-filled journals, but he recently posted the color names on Instagram.

But then he did not mention what brand(s) of watercolor he has. I tried to put together a similar set using the paints that I already had — my Payne’s gray is much bluer than his, making it almost the same as the indigo I had a small bit of. The only turquoise I have is the paler cobalt turquoise light. His red seemed like a mid-range red, not very warm or cool, so I tried perylene scarlet.

The easiest way to see how my substitutes work is make a color chart . . .

I’m thinking I may still tweak this set a bit more. Maybe a turquoise that is more of a teal. And rather than a gray or black, perhaps I will add lunar violet? It’s a bit gray but with a slight violet cast; violet is a very hard color to mix with this palette.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...