07 March 2019

a Pocket Palette collection


Since the first time I saw Maria Coryell Martin’s ArtToolkit, I have loved her Pocket Palettes. I quickly bought the original palette. Then a lighter weight version came out about the same time I was thinking about getting a second one so I ordered one of them. Next came a slight design change __the lower bar was reduced in size so as not to block the paint pans and a slight side edge added to the mixing area__ and I splurged yet again. Recently the palette came out in classic black . . . . This may have been a gift?

The green palette in the lower right position is not actually a Pocket Palette. It’s a Wellspring business card case that I found in a used book store but with the addition of a self-stick magnetic card and a bit of white enamel paint on the inner lid, it works the same.

Each time I did a new arrangement of paint pans, I made a color map to remember it. Now I’m getting quite a collection of those as well!

By the way, I challenged myself to work straight through a journal using the same palette I began with. Most journals contain a variety of palettes. I am now 3/4 of the way through my current accordion-fold journal and, except for a couple of dabs of buff titanium, I am still using the same earthy granulating palette as I started with (shown in the center front).

8 comments:

  1. The thought of using such a small palette tempts me just because it would make it easier to pack and carry. But for some reason I have hesitated—I think because I have a hard time restricting myself to a smaller mixing area. Love the colors in the center front palette.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These tiny palettes would not work well for larger sketchbooks or regular paintings but for just adding a bit of color to a sketch, I love them! They tend to make me fuss less with mixing — especially when I use the black one with the micro-mini pans, I let the colors mix directly on the paper instead.

      Delete
  2. Thank you for sharing your palettes, Vicky. I love them all. I made a knock off palette from an old mirror compact. I ordered Maria's paint pans to put in it. Judging from your pictures, mine is just a little smaller, because it holds 3x6 of the small pans. But the lid actually has the same depth as the bottom, so I put larger wash pans plus a few extra colors up there. It is so small I haven't actually taken only this palette with me on trips. But I am thinking about trying it soon. I know you use your pocket palettes a lot. That encourages me to give it a go. Thanks again and enjoy your lovely palettes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’ve seen your mirror compact knock-off palette on your blog — it’s fabulous! I stole your idea of additional pans in the lid for another business card case I found that is double-deep. It came with a divider to hold 2 stacks of business cards, which I removed.

      My favorite knock-off that uses Maria’s metal paint pans is the flat metal box that Neocolor II watercolor crayons came in. I added a couple of magnetic cards to the bottom and painted the inner lid white. It holds more of the larger size pans plus has room for a couple of travel brushes and even a Kaweco Liliput fountain pen!

      Delete
  3. That sounds fantastic. Did you post a picture of it anywhere? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can’t find a photo or sketch of the Neocolor II tin with metal paint pans but here’s a blog post of a Daler Romney flat tin (it’s the same size) used the same way:
      https://vickylwilliamson.blogspot.com/2017/12/a-palette-with-fountain-pen.html

      The Neocolor II tin is shown here with plastic pans, before I painted the mixing area with white enamel:
      https://vickylwilliamson.blogspot.com/2014/05/journal-silliness.html

      Delete
  4. Oh yes, I know the problem :D I just combined two mini palettes into a metal pencil tin because it holds more and I was always carrying around at least two palettes in my handbag.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems I’m forever switching palette size and color choices, depending on which purse (or pocket) I’ll be using and season or mood. So much fun!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...