21 October 2017

the sale that wasn't


Last Saturday there was an Octoberfest event in Burton, Texas. Diane, owner of Heritage Sunday House bed & breakfast and the antique store next door, asked to include prints and notecards of my sketches in her special sale. The chamber of commerce hosted the event . . . and even they didn't show up! A few people came out for the walk-run and a few dachshunds and their owners for a weenie-dog race. But not one person came our way, even with food set out for them.

I just had to laugh about the whole thing, though I am sorry for all the hard work that Diane put into it -- incredibly frustrating for her! My sketches are now displayed for sale in her shop. Diane's encouragement has nudged me to learn about the process of having prints and notecards made, and now I may go forward in opening an Etsy shop. 

Prints I had made are not always true in color to the originals and some shadows disappeared. (Many of these are a bit out of focus, as they were very quick snapshots.)

  




 

 



 

These are the first series of notecards I did. I'm thinking several of the above prints would also make nice notecards. Once I figure out how to sell them online . . .



12 comments:

  1. I am so sorry the sale didn't go as planned! At least you gained some knowledge about making prints! I think an Etsy shop is a great idea. Your sketches are so beautiful I know they will sell!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope so! If just to cover expenses and buy art toys!

      Delete
  2. Vicky I am so sorry. I know that had to be very disappointing for both you and Diane after all of your preparation. I wish you the best in your Etsy shop. Please let me know if you would like some leads on where to buy fine art paper and packaging. I would be glad to help.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not really disappointed for myself -- Burton is a very small town and I am not surprised by the lack of turnout. But I'm sorry for all the work Diane put into it.

      For now, I just had prints made at a local print shop, but if I get many future sales I will try buying that printer you suggested and print my own.

      Delete
  3. They don't know what they missed out on ! Your drawings are beautiful and would sell if people had seen them !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Alissa -- I love what you've been posting to sale lately!

      Delete
  4. I feel sad for Diane - so much work and expense with no returns on her investment. Vicky I am disappointed too, as I was looking forward to reading about the event and how people Oohed and Aahed over your art. Well, it's their loss. You on the other hand, are now endowed with knowledge about making prints and notecards and you're on the cusp of owning an Etsy shop, Amazing how God leads us on a certain path and only always us a glimpse of one outcome, only to reveal another, which is bigger, more fascinating and with more far-reaching potential? Go for it Vicky, God has already equipped you with all you need for the journey.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheryl, your words are so encouraging -- thank you! I should have learned long ago never to assume I know the direction God is taking me . . . I'm always wrong!

      Delete
  5. Oh, Vicky! I am sure, your lovely sketches would succeed in your Etsy shop. Looking forward to see your Etsy shop page! Best wishes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jana! Things have been so busy around here, finishing up on remodeling projects prompted by hurricane damage. And other "life stuff" . . .
      The past few days, internet has been very patchy so I don't dare start anything major yet. I would use my iPhone as a hotspot but my phone signal has been unreliable as well.

      Delete
    2. Of course we are always wrong. Our ways are not His ways. His ways are higher than our finite imaginations. We see only dimly, partially while God sees from eternity to eternity. The duty and beauty in all that is that We can trust in and depend on Him to lead us on the right/best path for our good and His glory.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...