This stone dragon (or is it a gargoyle?) lives under an ancient oak tree in the lovely gardens of the Antique Rose Emporium. I'm trying to get better at ink drawings --- I darkened the ball he is perched on too much, losing one of his toes in the process. But I think he will forgive me.
. . . while relaxing on the porch swing. Mowing this part of the lawn was annoying for Bill as this crepe myrtle kept thumping him in the head. So he gathered pine needles from another part of the yard and spread them around this tree, then set some container plants here. Works nicely.
This is where two signatures meet in the binding, one of BFK Rives paper and one of a toned Stonehenge paper. I glued a strip of paper down the middle gutter to cover a gap between the two.
The rocks scattered over our sandy dirt road are either too small to make much difference or too large to make a decent drive. But among the larger rocks are some very interesting ones. My favorites are these very plain-looking light tan rocks --- when broken open by a car's tires, an amazing glowing red is revealed inside!
When I saw one for the first time while walking with Bill, my first thought was of a dinosaur egg that had become a rock.
UPDATE: Our son Jeff, who is studying to be a geologist, says this is a type of chert with red jasper. Related to flint, extremely hard, and the edges are very sharp!
With the Venezia sketchbook journal's binding coming apart, I decided to leave the last blank page as is and move on to a new book. This one contains the last of my BFK Rives paper along with some toned Stonehenge.
While I am good at stitching signatures together into a book block, I am not so good at building covers. I had to reset the book block a second time after gluing it in wrong on the first attempt --- leaving a messy strip on the inside covers that is now covered with a bit of ribbon.
As always, the first page has a palette: the border contains every watercolor I use, all single pigments. The tiny mint tin holds watercolors that match the inks in the fountain pens --- lately I've been wanting to do more pen & ink with monotone washes.
We found the mealycup sage during a recent walk; the stork's bill is another find from Old Baylor Park in Independence, TX. I do wonder at the name "stork's bill" because I see no resemblance in this wildflower from the geranium family.
There is actually one more 2-page spread left in this sketchbook but the binding has fallen apart so I might stop now. This is the second Fabriano Venezia sketchbook I have used --- the other one held up better than this.
We took a drive through Independence the other day where I found golden tickseed taking over an old weathered fence with strips of bark blown loose. This fence encloses an outdoor cooking area (or a spot to wash clothes in a large kettle) next to an old dog trot log cabin in Old Baylor Park.
Later, I added a new unknown wildflower Bill spotted on the side of the road. Its leaves look like clover but it's tall.
Before filling this repurposed palette shown in a previous post, I used a journal page to determine which red watercolor I wanted to include in the earthy, muted triad. Before now, I had been using quinacridone burnt scarlet but have always thought it a bit orangy. So I tested it with two other choices, Indian red and perylene maroon, to see what kind of oranges and purples eaxh one made.
Though I love Indian red's earthy quality, the mixed orange seems a bit dull --- more like a yellow ochre or raw sienna. So I chose the maroon.
On the opposite page, I made a color wheel for both the bright and the earthy primary sets, then tested a few of the colors with the two convenience colors.