18 April 2024

playing with color, again

Recently, a comment was made on a blog entry I wrote in November of 2011 after reading a past issue of Watercolor Artist magazine about pigments used by artists in the late 19th century. At the time I came up with my own version of similar colors using quinacridone gold as my yellow — the original single pigment quin. gold that is no longer available. (The new version, while close in color, does not work the same in mixes!)

So this week I’ve played with my current paints, putting together an updated version of this limited palette, sketching it in my tiny sketchbook. Then I tried it on completely different paper (a blank refill for my passport size Traveler’s Company notebook). And then I painted a swatch card to see what mixes can be made.



Playing with my watercolors and pocket palettes makes me happy! 😊 

(And yes, I managed to sneak in a turquoise! It’s my favorite color and I figured it can substitute for the greens and cooler blue that were originally used. The original pigments artists used are listed on the left-side page of the Traveler’s refill.)


2 comments:

  1. Thanks. I appreciate this post. Very helpful as I’ve always loved the color palette from that era.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That period of time has always fascinated me as well! The watercolors from that time are especially lovely.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...