12 November 2023

almost finished!

On Monday, I take my final radiation treatment at M.D.Anderson — then I am free for the next 8 weeks. At the end of each milestone in fighting cancer, they have patients ring a bell like this one. I would rather sketch the bell in my journal than ring it. Above the bell is a plaque with the following lines penned by Irve Le Moyne:

Ring this bell

Three times well!

It’s toll to clearly say,

My treatment’s done

This course is run

And I am on my way!

At the end of the 8 weeks, I have various tests, imaging, and doctors’ visits — then finally surgery to remove anything that’s left of the tumor (there may be nothing left at all!) and to reverse the colostomy that I’ve had since February 28, the beginning of this journey.

6 comments:

  1. Congratulations on finishing another stage of your healing journey, Vicky. I have been eagerly waiting for each new blog post and sketch. And sending prayers for your recovery. It is meaningful to see that you are keeping a sketch record of your life as you deal with everything involved. Thank you for sharing your story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Fay! It’s people like you praying for me that has made such a difference. I appreciate you more than words can say.

      Delete
  2. I've been meaning to write something for some time but all words were sounding wrong - so much to say. So I will say just this: I follow your wonderful sketches of this journey and before and enjoy them a lot. You are seen and inspiring. Thank you for this. Wishing you lots of strength, peace and support on your road!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nina, I’ve enjoyed following your sketching for years! And I’ve cried and prayed for your parents (and for Ukraine) as I follow their story. Thank you so much for commenting and for your good wishes.
      After keeping artist journals for so many years, it just felt right to continue through this cancer battle. Then I decided to share it all online in the hope that it might help someone else who is facing similar challenges. Maybe remind someone to get that colonoscopy they keep putting off so they don’t end up like me.

      Delete
    2. thank you - for everything you wrote here - including a reminder to do the screening!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...