15 April 2022

Texas gulf coast, prairies, & piney woods


Recently Austin artist Lisa Spangler, in preparation for teaching a workshop near Houston, put together a palette of colors especially for the Texas Gulf Coast & Prairies which is pretty close to where we live. Her blog post can be found HERE.

Lisa is very good at choosing just the right watercolors for specific environments; I especially love her sketches from Big Bend National Park! I was inspired to go through my own paints for near-matches to her selections, adding a dark cool green and cool brown for the Piney Woods — our little farm is a blend of Piney Woods and Prairie.

Next week we will once again be camping in a forest north of us so I’m testing out this palette, hoping to try a bit of landscape sketching. Many of the pigments are those I normally use. I seldom use orange so rather than buy a tube, I mixed quinacridone rose and hansa yellow medium together right in the pan, stirring with a toothpick. The only purchase I made was a small tube of quinacridone coral. Usually I only carry one cool red, adding a yellow when I need a warmer red, but Lisa’s choice of this coral intrigues me, especially in capturing sunsets. Hopefully there will be one over Lake Raven next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...